Proof-of-concept of RNA Nanotechnology in 1998
The RNA Nanotechnology field is relatively new. The first evidence showing that RNA Nanoparticles can be constructed using reengineered RNA molecules by controlled self-assembly was reported in 1998, a study led by Professor Peixuan Guo.
- Milestone 1：Chemical modification improved RNA's chemical stability
- Milestone 2：Thermodynamically stable RNA three-way junction was discovered
- Milestone 3：Industrialization of RNA to overcome the barricade of low yield and high cost
- Milestone 4：To be evidenced!
- Guo P, Zhang C, Chen C, Garver K, Trottier M, Chen C. Inter-RNA Interaction of phage phi29 pRNA to Form a Hexameric Complex for DNA Transportation. Mol. Cell 1998; 2:149-155.
- Shu D, Shu Y, Haque F, Abdelmawla S, Guo P. Thermodynamically stable RNA three-way junction for constructing multifunctional nanoparticles for delivery of therapeutics. Nature Nanotechnology 2011; 6(10):658-67.
- Guo P. The emerging field of RNA nanotechnology. Nature Nanotechnology. 2010; 5: 833.
- Shu Y, Pi F, Sharma A, Rajabi M, Haque F, Shu D, Leggas M, Evers BM, Guo P. Stable RNA nanoparticles as potential new generation drugs for cancer therapy. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2014;66C:74-89.